The Brooklyn Nets of the NBA announced on Tuesday that Kevin Durant will stay with them this coming season.
The announcement follows two underwhelming seasons for the talented Nets and a prolonged summer of uncertainty around the fates of key players Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving.
In the opening round of the playoffs last year, the Boston Celtics swept the Brooklyn Nets. As recently as Monday, rumours that Durant would be traded to Boston and Memphis were circulating.
Sean Marks, general manager of the Nets, said on Twitter, “We have agreed to move forward with our cooperation.” With one common objective in mind, we are concentrating on basketball in order to bring a championship to Brooklyn.
On Monday, Durant and his manager Rich Kleiman met with Marks, coach Steve Nash, and owners Joe and Clare Wu Tsai in Los Angeles to finalise the agreement. Two-time NBA champion and former MVP Durant is under contract for four more years.
According to NBC Sports, Nash and Marks’ management of the franchise dissatisfied both Durant and Irving, in part because Marks refused to give the unvaccinated Irving a long-term deal extension.
According to NBC Sports, the Nets also intend to keep Irving for the upcoming season. Shams Chania of The Athletic said that Irving has been working out with teammates and having productive conversations with the company.
On October 19 in Brooklyn, the Nets take on the New Orleans Pelicans in their first game of the year.