Many Indiana residents spent their day Wednesday picking up and leaving their homes Wednesday morning, when officials found the house unsafe due to various health and safety concerns.

People who spoke to NBC 5 described the building as filthy and uninhabitable, with many even saying they feared for their health.

“Mold, asthma, foul. “Sorry (but) I’m doing two jobs, I’m working hard, and I feel we have been abused,” said Sharon Wren.

The house, located on the 200 block of East Street in Hobart, had yellow signs reading ‘Do Not Enter’, with tenants coming and going with the box behind the box containing their belongings.

“Everything is dirty, and it looks like there is dung on the steps below,” Wren said.

Many neighbors have complained about living arrangements, but they are not able to relocate. Wren pays more than $ 750 a month, and does not believe that he will ever get another house for that price.

Authorities were notified of the house while responding to a neighbor’s check, and from there the firefighters decided to close the house.

“We found very difficult things in the basement of health and safety,” said Randy Smith, The Fire Chief of Hobart Indiana.

The basement is a special area of ​​concern, with door-to-door doors that are supposed to guide fire escape.

Neighbors also complained about the standing water in the area, and were afraid of mold and asbestos presence.

“Just sitting here, breathing. “You hear that this air is thick. I went home and threw it yesterday because the door was open all day, that’s what he had, and on top of that he had someone sitting on the floor,” said a neighbor.

The landlord has repaid the rent for July, as well as the security deposits of the occupants. He promises to renovate the house by the end of the year, but tenants say that this is not enough.

The homeowners are expected to meet with city officials to discuss what will happen next week.



Source link