According to NBC News, David DePape, the man accused of breaking into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s home and savagely beating her husband with a hammer, entered a not guilty plea on Tuesday to charges that included attempted murder.
Paul Pelosi, the 82-year-old spouse of the top-ranking House Democrat, was still being treated in the hospital following the alleged attack early on Friday when DePape was arraigned in San Francisco Superior Court.
After being released from the hospital, the 42-year-old suspect was lodged in the San Francisco county jail on a number of state counts, including attempted murder, burglary, assault, and false imprisonment.

According to his criminal complaint, DePape has also been charged by the Department of Justice with two federal offences: attempted kidnapping of a federal official and assaulting a close relative of a United States official with the intention of retaliating against the official.
According to NBC, DePape had long hair and went without shaving for his initial court appearance. After the brief hearing on Tuesday afternoon, his public defender Adam Lipson informed the media that the defendant was dressed in an orange jump suit and had his arm in a sling as a result of a dislocated shoulder.

According to Lipson, DePape is now being held without bond, and a new hearing is scheduled for this Friday.
According to a court document filed on Tuesday by the prosecution in their effort to retain DePape in custody, DePape said police he was on a “suicide mission” and had intentions to kill other California and federal lawmakers. The document also described the attack in graphic detail.
A local professor and a number of well-known state and federal officials, as well as members of their families, were purportedly among DePape’s other targets.
Paul Pelosi awoke in a pool of his own blood after being knocked out by the hammer strike, according to the lawsuit.

DePape, who was dressed in orange prison garb, didn’t say a word beyond asking Judge Diane Northway how to pronounce his last name (dih-PAP’). The 42-year-old accused is due back in court on Friday.
Following the hearing, Lipson stated he is eager to offer DePape a “vigorous defence.” He added that he had just seen DePape on Monday night and had not yet received the police reports.
The lawyer also sent Paul Pelosi, who is recuperating from surgery to heal a skull fracture, his best wishes.
There has “been a lot of conjecture around Mr. DePape’s sensitivity to misinformation, and that’s absolutely something that we’re going to look into,” Lipson said, declining to go into any detail about his defensive plan.

The Pelosi home attack appears to be “politically motivated,” according to the San Francisco district attorney, who made the statement on Monday.
According to a court document, Paul Pelosi told a policeman after the assault that DePape had woken him up early on Friday morning and asked to speak to “Nancy”
Washington, D.C., was where Nancy Pelosi was at the time. After Paul Pelosi was able to dial 911, DePape allegedly hit him with a hammer when police arrived, according to investigators.

The document stated that DePape later admitted to police that he believed the House speaker to be the “‘leader of the pack’ of lies told by the Democratic Party.” According to the affidavit, he threatened to break her kneecaps if she lied while he held her prisoner and spoke to her.
According to the affidavit, DePape came at the San Francisco residence carrying zip ties, tape, rope, and at least one hammer.